About Vidant Medical Center
Vidant Medical Center is a 900+ bed Level-1 Trauma Center, regional referral hospital and is the flagship hospital for Vidant Health. We serve as the teaching hospital for the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. Vidant Medical Center provides acute, intermediate, rehabilitation and outpatient services to more than 1.4 million people in 29 counties. But it's in our work environment that you'll find our sense of family and closeness that permeates everything we do.
- The Transfer Center Registered Nurse (TCRN) is responsible for the coordination of patient transfers to VMC, to an appropriate Vidant Health Community Hospital or to a Non-Vidant Health Hospital. The TCRN collaborates with the Patient Placement Facilitator, Patient Placement Coordinators and the Communications Center Specialist, and acts as a clinical resource and facilitator for all interfacility transfers.
- In addition to the basic responsibilities per RN job description, the TCRN facilitates all regional referrals, the TCRN may facilitate transfers, admissions, bed requests from inpatient, outpatient, clinics, pre-admits, and for cardiovascular and medical/surgical services.
- Creates patient records in the Teletracking Transfer Center electronic database and updates active database accounts regularly.
- Maintains compliance with EMTLA, JCAHO and DHSR regulations and standards.
- Demonstrates broad spectrum of knowledge and clinical competence related to assessing the patient transfer and placement needs, including those associated with invasive and noninvasive procedures, surgeries, STEMIs and Code Strokes.
- Identifies clinical and departmental barriers and collaborates with the Patient Care Coordinator and Patient Placement Facilitator to eliminate choke points and maximize patient throughput at VMC.
- Coordinates and facilitates all admission/bed requests from inpatient/outpatient/clinics/pre-admits/regional referrals for cardiovascular services. Follows established algorithms, protocols, guidelines and procedures for how to accept and process admission request information.
- Works collaboratively with Regional referring contacts, physicians, clinicians, EastCare, all CV inpatient and outpatient units, Admissions, ED and Patient Care Facilitators to accept, document specifics, arrange transfer/transport arrangements and process admission information.
- Demonstrates broad spectrum of knowledge and clinical competence related to assessing the patient transfer and placement needs including those associated with invasive and noninvasive procedures, surgeries, STEMIs and Code Strokes.
- Communicates with all disciplines, referring facilities, East Care, ICU charge nurses, Fellows, Service line nurse practitioners/clinicians and attending physicians by providing information, and asking and answering clinical questions.
- Identifies clinical and departmental barriers to effective patient throughput and contacts appropriate personnel to develop a resolution plan. Works with charge nurse staff, physicians, clinicians, case managers to address barriers.
- Negotiates and works with Patient Placement Facilitators/Coordinators, Transfer Center and Bed Control staff toward goal of no lost referrals and no excessive delays in responsiveness to regional referrals, Vidant Health and/or Vidant Medical Center ED.
RN license required.
BCLS & ACLS certifications preferred.
At least five years of experience in a patient care environment utilizing clinical and assessment skills.
Leadership experience required
Charge nurse experience required.
Knowledge of admission, patient placement, transfer, and discharge processes preferred.
- Part Time position
- Night shifts
It is the goal of Vidant Health and its entities to employ the most qualified individual who best matches the requirements for the vacant position.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of all pre-employment screenings, which may include an occupational health screening, criminal record check, education, reference, and licensure verification.
We value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Decisions of employment are made based on business needs, job requirements and applicant’s qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other status protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint.