About Vidant Medical Center
Vidant Medical Center is a 900+ bed Level-1 Trauma Center, regional referral hospital and is the flagship hospital for Vidant Health. We serve as the teaching hospital for the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. Vidant Medical Center provides acute, intermediate, rehabilitation and outpatient services to more than 1.4 million people in 29 counties. But it's in our work environment that you'll find our sense of family and closeness that permeates everything we do.
Essential Job Functions for Molecular Microbiologist/Covid Resource Specialist
Prepare and Perform Test
- Perform Molecular Microbiology laboratory tests
- Monitor test results and QC results to ensure accuracy and validity of testing
- Prepare patient specimens as required for laboratory testing
- Maintain appropriate records for patient testing and QC results
- Accurate pipetting of using a variety of pipettor configurations
- Ensure proper specimen identification
- Clearly communicate with other lab personnel, supervisors, physicians, and nursing staff
- Work well as a team with other laboratory staff and management
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Cleaning and disinfecting following laboratory protocols to prevent contamination of work surfaces and equipment with amplified material.
- Ability to multitask workload to meet demands of result turnaround times while completing other assigned duties
- Proficient operation of instrumentation
- Proficient usage of Laboratory Information System, Hospital Information System, and other computer software as necessary
- PCR testing
- Other duties as assigned in the Microbiology laboratory, to include specimen processing, read assigned
- Microbiology cultures, loading of blood culture bottles, and putting away supplies
- Master's degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical, or biological science; OR
- Bachelor's degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical or biological; OR
- Associate degree in chemical, physical or biological science or medical laboratory or equivalent education and training (refer to 42CFR493.1489(b)(2)(ii) for details on required courses and training); OR
- Individuals performing high complexity testing on or before April 24, 1995 with a high school diploma or equivalent with documented training may continue to perform testing only on those tests for which training was documented prior to September 1, 1997 (refer to CLIA regulation 42CFR493.1489(b) for details on required training) OR
- Individual previously qualified or could have qualified as a technologist under CFR.493.1489 and CFR.493.1491 on or before February 28, 1992
- MUST have PCR testing experience
- Part time with benefits
- Evenings & Nights (2nd/3rd shift) includes weekend and holiday rotation
It is the goal of Vidant Health and its entities to employ the most qualified individual who best matches the requirements for the vacant position.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of all pre-employment screenings, which may include an occupational health screening, criminal record check, education, reference, and licensure verification.
We value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Decisions of employment are made based on business needs, job requirements and applicant’s qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other status protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint.