About The East Carolina Heart Institute
The East Carolina Heart Institute is the first in North Carolina devoted exclusively to education, research, treatment, and prevention of cardiovascular diseases. The institute is associated with Vidant Medical Center and East Carolina University. The primary facilities that make up the Heart Institute are located on the campuses of Vidant Medical Center and ECU’s Brody School of Medicine. We use the most advanced equipment and techniques to manage both familiar and rare cardiovascular problems. Our integration of basic science and clinical research, along with the clinical practice of medicine and surgery, ensures that patients receive the latest, most promising treatment options based on thorough review of their individual needs.
About the Cardiac Intermediate Unit
CIU is a 56 Bed cardiac intermediate care. Patient population includes Acute Cardiac Diagnoses (S/P MI, NSTEMI, CHF, Pre/post Cardiac Cath/Intervention, Pacing/Defibrillation Device Placement). Cardiac Arrhythmia and Coronary Artery Disease management. Titration of vasoactive drips. Bedside procedures consist of ICD checks, TEEs and cardioversion.
CIU has the ECHI medicine service that is comprised of a Hospitalist and Advanced practice staff (PAs and FNPs) and ECU Cardiology (the Academic service) providing medical coverage for our patients that are available 24/7.
The unit operates in a "pod setting" with four beds in each pod. Nurse Ratio 1 to 4.
We have flexible scheduling. Team work and patient safety are our number one priorities.
Testimonials from our CIU Nurses at Vidant Medical Center
Britt, CIU Nurse at Vidant Medical Center
Our unit is a collaboration of all members of the healthcare team, nurses, nursing assistants, doctors, support partners. Positive attitudes from management are contagious to all unit employees.
- Delivers direct, quality patient care, utilizing a basic clinical skill level and knowledge base.
- Develops, implements and evaluates/revises a plan of care.
- Attends educational programs and staff orientation which promotes personal and professional development.
- Participate in Service Excellence Program.
- A.D.N or BSN degree
- NC RN license or active compact license (must obtain temporary NC license within 30 days)
- At least 1 year of RN experience (new graduates must apply to the residency program)
- 2 years of hospital experience with telemetry/rhythm experience
- Our IU (step down) equivelent = community hospital ICU
- Drip experience; Vent experience not required but is a plus
- PCCN certification a plus
- Full time 36 hour a week position (work 3 - 12’s/week, typically every other weekend)
- Hire for days with night rotation or straight nights
It is the goal of Vidant Health and its entities to employ the most qualified individual who best matches the requirements for the vacant position.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of all pre-employment screenings, which may include an occupational health screening, criminal record check, education, reference, and licensure verification.
We value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Decisions of employment are made based on business needs, job requirements and applicant’s qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other status protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint.