About The East Carolina Heart Institute
The East Carolina Heart Institute is the first in North Carolina devoted exclusively to education, research, treatment, and prevention of cardiovascular diseases. The institute is associated with Vidant Medical Center and East Carolina University. The primary facilities that make up the Heart Institute are located on the campuses of Vidant Medical Center and ECU’s Brody School of Medicine. We use the most advanced equipment and techniques to manage both familiar and rare cardiovascular problems. Our integration of basic science and clinical research, along with the clinical practice of medicine and surgery, ensures that patients receive the latest, most promising treatment options based on thorough review of their individual needs.
About the Cardiovascular Unit
The Cardiovascular Intermediate Unit is a 24-bed, decentralized nursing pod design, unit inside our state-of-the-art East Carolina Heart Institute at Vidant Medical Center. Patients on this units consist of post-operative cardiac, thoracic and vascular patients. Nurses on this unit will encounter high acuity surgical patients with multi-system issues.
The unit offers flexible shift and scheduling options, training and education opportunities, and has a large emphasis on career development.
Testimonials from our CVIU Nurses at Vidant Medical Center
Shannyn, CVIU RN at Vidant Medical Center
“Working on CVIU is a nurse's dream come true. The team is amazing, the leadership supportive, and the institution supports professional development by offering tuition and certification reimbursement. Above all, safety is key at Vidant. From the bedside to the boardroom, the culture emphasizes accountability which ultimately results in patient safety. This attitude makes working here a privilege and a pleasure.”
- Delivers direct, quality patient care, utilizing a basic clinical skill level and knowledge base.
- Develops, implements and evaluates/revises a plan of care.
- Attends educational programs and staff orientation which promotes personal and professional development.
- Participate in Service Excellence Program.
- A.D.N or BSN degree
- NC RN license or active compact license (must obtain temporary NC license within 30 days)
- At least 1 year of RN experience (new graduates must apply to the residency program)
- 1-2 years of surgical experience preferred
- Experience with patients who have chest tubes, epidurals, temporary pacing wires, multiple IV
- Cardiothoracic/vascular surgery experience is a plus
- CVIU = ICU patients in a community hospital
- BSN preferred
It is the goal of Vidant Health and its entities to employ the most qualified individual who best matches the requirements for the vacant position.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of all pre-employment screenings, which may include an occupational health screening, criminal record check, education, reference, and licensure verification.
We value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Decisions of employment are made based on business needs, job requirements and applicant’s qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other status protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint.