About Vidant Medical Center
Vidant Medical Center is a 900+ bed Level-1 Trauma Center, regional referral hospital and is the flagship hospital for Vidant Health. We serve as the teaching hospital for the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. Vidant Medical Center provides acute, intermediate, rehabilitation and outpatient services to more than 1.4 million people in 29 counties. But it's in our work environment that you'll find our sense of family and closeness that permeates everything we do.
1. Acts as the hospital/laboratory representative and courier between the hospital laboratory facilities and other hospitals, physicians offices and related locations. This includes use of the Outreach courier car to transport forms and laboratory supplies to account locations as well as pickup of specimens. Answers questions about types of laboratory tests, specimen requirements, turnaround times and other laboratory/hospital services.
2. Verifies the patients' insurance, including obtaining copies of the patients' insurance cards as well as using the BCBS network system to verify coverage dates for Medicare and Medicaid.
3.. Registers the patient in the hospital computer system if the patient is going to be billed by the hospital business office. This includes alpha-searching the patient's name so as not to create duplicate medical record numbers in the computer systems, entering the patient's demographics, insurance information and the ICD 9CM encoded diagnosis information required for claim processing. If the client is to be billed instead of the patient, then the patient is registered in the laboratory computer system as well as the Outreach billing system.
4.. Orders lab tests in the laboratory computer system or the Outreach billing system, depending on patient type. This includes alpha-searching the test code and entering comments as requested.
5. Checks each specimen is checked for proper labeling, patient identification information, and relabeled with a computerized bar code label. It is then triaged
6. Responsible for ensuring that laboratory results are returned to the ordering physician or facility in a timely manner by courier, autosend printer, autofax or fax.
7. Maintains manual accounts receivable records. This includes preparing monthly reports for the hospital accounts payable department and laboratory administration. Responsible for daily entering client charges using the Outreach billing system for outside (invoice) accounts. Responsible for processing invoices to the outside accounts monthly. Responsible for posting invoice payments.
8. Responsible for the weekly maintenance of the Outreach courier car as required by the hospital Transportation department. Maintains inventory of all lab supplies used by each outside account. Reviews and resolves computer errors
9. Performs other duties as assigned including performing phlebotomy on outpatients.
High School diploma or equivalent required.
1 - 2 years experience in a clinical laboratory or related required.
Current valid NC Driver’s License required
Phlebotomy experience required.
Full-time. Hours 11:00am – 7:30pm Monday – Friday, some Saturdays.
It is the goal of Vidant Health and its entities to employ the most qualified individual who best matches the requirements for the vacant position.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of all pre-employment screenings, which may include an occupational health screening, criminal record check, education, reference, and licensure verification.
We value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Decisions of employment are made based on business needs, job requirements and applicant’s qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other status protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint.
For additional information, please contact:
Debi Markey, Recruiter